Minutes of meeting Dec 2010

When: Wednesday 1 December 6pm 2010

Where: Mountains Community Resource Network Meeting Room, Lawson

Present: Barbara Harley (Tree Fern Gully, Lindeman Road Leura), Elizabeth Mitchell (Birdwood Gully), Margaret & Warwick Tafe (Mt Riverview), Paul Vale (Popes Glen), Karen Hising (Valley of the Waters), Mike Purtell (Else Mitchell & Deanei), Lachlan Garland (Braeside, Valley of the Waters), Xuela Sledge (NPWS), Lyndal Sullivan (BMCC)

Apologies: Clive Heywood Barker (BMCS), Allan Murray (Glenbrook Lagoon),

Facilitator: Lachlan Garland

Acceptance of Previous Minutes (Sept 10) moved Paul Vale/MargaretTafe

Matters Arising from Previous Minutes

  1. Integral vegetation clearance works

    Deferred until Allan Murray is present to update on response from letter.

  2. BMCC Weed Management Strategy

    Paul Vale spoke at Council meeting to support the changes to the Strategy proposed for adoption (supported by Barbara, Shirley and Lachlan).

    Most of the Network’s concerns were addressed in the document and a thorough response received from council on all issues raised.

    Other issues raised with councillors were supported unanimously with 2 motions:

    • that a report be prepared for Council on the necessary changes required to expand the current list of trees exempted from the Tree Preservation Order (TPO) so as to encourage residents to remove weeds on their properties. All trees listed in the weed list in DCP 2005, Part F (2) should be included in the exemptions; and
    • that Council make representations to the State Member for Blue Mountains to explore avenues for State Government funding of weed control where weed spread has been stimulated by fire, both planned and unplanned.

    Action re post fire weed funding: Margaret will contact Jenny Hollis from CSIRO to identify what research has been done into weed responses and the cost of control following fire; and Xuela will contact Kate Hammil (DECC) to identify any other research.

  3. Weed Tree exemption from Tree Preservation Order (TPO )

    It was agreed that the Network would only support ‘exemptions’ from the TPO list which are
    weeds in all locations in the LGA, i.e. not local native plants in any vegetation community. Hence the whole of the DCP tree list should included except for Pittosporumundulatum. Also a small number of additional trees could be suggested (max 10 m).

    Action: that all look through Clive’s list to identify any weed trees which should be added to the list of exemptions and send no more than 10 to Lachlan before 25th December. Lachlan will collate a list (of 10 max) from everyone’s ideas and discuss with Clive prior to making any submission to Council.


  4. Volunteer registration forms and Volunteer/Council agreement

    It was agreed that a registration form was a good idea, and also a volunteer agreement. A volunteer agreement was best signed by volunteers after they had been working with the group for a couple of months and received the basic training; existing volunteers should also be asked to sign the agreement. Suggested amendments to the draft volunteer agreement attached.

  5. NPWS volunteer program

    Xuela Sledge explained her role as a volunteer coordinator for the NPWS Blue Mountains region which incorporates Hawkesbury and Kanagra. Her position is part time and grant funded, which commenced in July 09 and will run until June 11. The role is to liaise and coordinate rather than provide on ground support;

    It involves:

    • Obtaining funding
    • Expanding the range of volunteer activities beyond bush regeneration
    • Supporting rangers in planning and implementing activities
    • Supporting existing groups with site strategies

General Business

  1. Treasurer’s Report

    Lachlan reported a balance at 30/09/2010 in account with SCU is $354.30.

  2. Ideas for the future of BMCC Bushcare program

    • Bushweek in September: tap into publicity planned in Sydney; organise 3 sites for holding interpretative walks and produce leaflets on plants and other reserve features. Every year to hold these at 3 different reserves to build up a resource of information.
    • Advertising campaign at end of January/start of February, when people making plans for the year. Identify all the localities where groups work (and numbers) with action photos of bushcarers. Gazette, rates newsletter and locality papers.
    • Speakers on topics such as bats, ants

    Other ideas: Update and reprint ‘Living near the Bush’.

    Action: Lachlan to find out what the Blue Mountains Conservation Society plans are.

  3. Network of groups working in Shale cap/Shale Sandstone transition/Turpentine Ironbark vegetation communities

    It was agreed that it was a good idea to form a network of groups working in these communities to promote their restoration and raise awareness.

    Action: Bushcare officers to identify all groups working in these communities.
    Groups suggested were: Summerhayes Park, Mt Riverview, Glenbrook Lagoon, Darks Common, plus groups outside of the LGA (e.g. Mulgoa, Yellomundee)

    After the list compiled Lyndal to contact Mike to arrange a suitable meeting or field day.

    One idea for future promotion was a t-shirt slogan ‘I dig Shale’

  4. Meetings in 2011

    3rd Wednesday of February ( 16th), May (18th ) August (17th) and November (16th)

Next meeting: Wednesday 16 February at 6pm at Lawson Library building, MCRN room


Attachment to these minutes is appended to the PDF of the minutes, which may be downloaded here: Minutes of the Bushcare Network Dec 2010